Tuesday, October 2, 2012

College work

Its been a while since I have posted anything as I have been busy getting back into the swing of college. Am hoping to get back upto Tory Island for a few days this weekend and am going to Aranmore tomorrow in search of a few migs. For now just a few roughs from my first college project due to be handed up at the end of next month.


 The brief was to illustrate 5 pages from a book read over the summer. I picked out two I thought would be great, the jewel hunter and 100 birds to see before you die. I started by roughing out several ideas and species, starting with guerneys pitta.

 I tried out a few species from various previous trips, cock of the rock above.

 I finally decided to settle on illustrations of 5 Irish birds to see before you die. White tailed eagle was an obvious choice as I have sketched them many times in the last few years at falconry centres, and the success of the re-introdution in Kerry.
 Barn Owls are another favourite, although I have only seen one wild bird in the last few years despite a few stake outs.
 Bearded tits and waxwings were also high on the list. I have a rough list of 10 species, but nothing set in stone just yet. Have until the end of October to finish the project.




3 comments:

  1. Love them all but especially the waxwing, eagles and barn owls - good luck with the project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sketches! What are you studying???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much. I am studying illustration at Ballyfermot college in south Dublin. In my final year and have a little more say in the project themes, so expect plenty more birds!

    ReplyDelete